Monday, May 12, 2008

Avenue of the Giants RUN

I DID IT & IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!  I ran the Avenue of the Giants in the beautiful Humboldt County Redwoods.  It was a chilly morning on May 4th.  Emil and played hooky from church (not really, everyone knew where we were at).  

There were probably 1000 runners there and it was the biggest run I have ever been a part of.  I had some pre-race anxiety. Would I look like a neophyte?  Would I be dressed like everyone else?  If I carried water would someone think I was weak -- a dork?  Haha!  What torture our finite minds can put us through if we let them have control.  I chose my favorite black and pink running skirt and the morning was so cold that I ended up grabbing my pajama bottoms out of my bag and wearing them.  So much for looking like a dork.  

The marathoners and half marathoners went first at 9:00 am. The rest of us -- the 10Ker's went out at 9:30.  My goal was simple:  Run the race without having to walk at all & hopefully come in around 1 hr. & 15-20 minutes.  Well, I did both.  I ran the whole thing without walking and my time was 1:09:44 -- not bad for a slow runner.

I actually had a few epiphanies along the way but I will save those for another blog.  Pic posted at right.  It was a great day!


No comments: