Saturday, April 5, 2008

Getting stronger

I had to resort to the dreadmill today.  It is still too cold on some days for me to run outside.  Depending on how I feel I may run tomorrow too.  A friend of mine on my Sparkpeople team sent me an article on aerobic vs. anaerobic exercise.  It was talking about how runners and other people who do a lot of cardio end up not burning fat because their body gets too used to their routine.  I've been thinking about that lately.  In February I ran like 86 miles -- that's a lot of miles.  I also kept my calories at about 1500-2000.  I have been trying to lose those last 5 lbs.  Well, with all that running and careful calorie watching, I didn't lose a thing.  I was starting to suspect that my body might not want to "give it up".  So, I get sick for 2 weeks and my body drops 2.5 lbs. after that.  I've been on the mend for an additional 2 weeks and I continue to lose -- another 2#.  So what's up with that?  Well, there's practically the 5 lbs. I was trying to lose.  I think I'm going to go back to some weight training (anaerobic).  I love a new plan!

No comments: